Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

my bengal...help please(pic)

v1rt
15 years ago

The bengal I planted yesterday is not looking so good. The leaves are wilting too bad. The seller took it from her pond. She said that it can be planted on a pot. I remember when I planted it, it had many roots. However, I didn't see similar rhizomes like what I saw when I planted my Mystique and Black Knight. I'm so dissappointed.

What will I do to to keep it alive?

Here she is. :(

{{gwi:536044}}

Comments (12)

• oppalm
    15 years ago

me thinks you should water it well and put it someplace in full shade for 3-4 days. It should perk up. it will be fine.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It wasn't that sunny and hot today. I looked at it few mins ago and the leaf closes to the camera is curlying up more. :(

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Could this be the culprit? This is the soil I used and no other stuff.

{{gwi:536045}}

• oppalm
    15 years ago

thats not good stuff for container planting. I'd repot with a good quality potting soil amended with pine bark mulch and perlite. It makes a nice light fluffy soil for container gardening. use 2 parts potting soil, 1 part pine bark mulch (natural color, no dyes) and 1 part perlite. Now get after it.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew something was wrong. When I look at it, I didn't see much soil. Any recommendations for a potting soil that can be bought at home depot or lowes?

Thanks!

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

vlrtu0s1ty,

I just use whatever soil I have on hand for my cannas, whether garden dirt or bagged, potting soil. Cannas are pretty hardy so I would not go out and buy the most expensive potting soil. Don't recall any particular potting soil sold by Lowe's or HD, just make sure it is potting soil and not top soil.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok. What I did this morning is dug out some dirt from my garden bed. Right now, looks like it's doing well. I can see the recovery on the wilting. Hopefully, my eyes are right.

So where do we really use topsoil?

Thanks!

• watergal
    15 years ago

Topsoil is good for your yard, for filling in bare spots in your lawn and backfilling around shrubs. It's terrible for containers.

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Do you have a drain hole in your pot? Looks like they may be getting a little root rot.

I've got very similar plants in the ground that I have been nursing all summer. Still hardly any growth.

I'm going to dig them out and find a shadier location...

Good luck with yours!

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just learned recently that I shouldn't be using pure soil if planting them on pot. I pulled 3 rhizomes and they were soaking wet. Glad the 2 were able to make it healthy and nice. They're like 6 inches tall now.

However, even if they were healthy, I transfered them to my new soil medium.

Here is what I prepared for the rhizomes and the existing cannas.

1. 2 part topsoil scotts
    2. 1 part perlite
    3. 1 part peat moss
    4. 1 part arctic humus
    5. 1 part sand

I also changed the pot. It's now draining very well. :)

By the way, if I keep them in my living room, how much water should they get and how often?

• unicorn2564
    15 years ago

Maybe you planted too deep.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found out the issue about 2 weeks ago. I learned that when planting in pots, I should use pure soil and that I should have good draining. The pots I used didn't have good drainage.

I corrected them by removing the pure soil and used a mix I made. I used perlite, peat moss, few top soil, sand, etc. Today, all 3 are doing well. The other pot has a new shoot coming out even if the existing is just 10 inch tall. LOL.

Oh, I also noticed when I dug them, the roots are very long. It had barely roots when I planted them before. :)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994