Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliffthegoalie1972

Where to get lots of cannas??????

cliffthegoalie1972
18 years ago

My wife would love to plant a large plot of cannas next year. She has had good success with her few plants this year and that makes me happy. Species is not important to her. Where would I get a large number of cannas at the cheapest price? Thanks, CLiff

Comments (11)

• littleme
    18 years ago

When Spring comes around go to Lowe's Home Improvement or to Walmart. They usually have bags of cannas for CHEAP. The prices were unbelievably cheap for the rhizomes which are ready to put right in the ground. I bought them at half price last year and planted them everywhere. They all came up healthy and beautiful.

• username_5
    18 years ago

If you want a mail order/online source then the cheapest option for quality is Horn Canna farm

While a few varieties are more expensive, their price list for most is:

1 - 49 $1.00
    50 - 99 $0.60
    100 and up $0.50

• whip1 Zone 5 NE Ohio
    18 years ago

I bought some from Lowes and none of them grew. I will be buying from Horn's this spring. You can also try to set up a trade.

• merryd
    18 years ago

Most people enjoy hearing from others that what they have is appreciated, so you could keep your eyes open as you drive around and when you see a big stand of ones you like just stop and tell them what a lovely garden they have and ask what kind they are. Most likely the folks will give you some especially this time of year in OK. I'm assuming the season is well on it's way and some people are ready to get rid of what's been multiplying already. You may also suggest something you might have to trade to bring up the idea of 'sharing'.

I just missed out on several garbage bags from someone who had dug up a bunch last week but they are going to save me some of the rest they have to dig. Today I got a clump of dark stemmed EE's when I stopped to ask about something else in their garden that turned out to be castor bean. Also got a couple of small bengal tiger!

The bigger the garden with mature well filled in plants are probebly more likely to get shared than from someone who doesn't have as much.

You might also try farmers markets, or flea markets would be cheaper, where people sell off their excess.

• skygardening
    18 years ago

She could take those few plants that have multiplied by now and trade them in the exchange here for other kinds. Once you start collecting them, you want them all. For about $4.00 you can send about four of them anywhere in the USA. And they can send to you. I have about a dozen verities now and I'm always looking for more.

• Nancy
    18 years ago

You might also keep an eye on Lowes in a month or so. Ours has lots of potted canna & they will be clearancing them out. I got several last year for as little as .25 & they are doing very well this year.

• skygardening
    18 years ago

I was at Lowes in Leesburg, Fl last week and they had cannas. They were full of leaf rollers. There is no way they could have sold any of them. They would all have to be destroyed. I never saw them before, but knew immmediately what it was. I didn't buy any plants at all after that.
    Sky~~

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

Post on your local freecycle that you would be willing to dig up cannas, put a sign in your yard "Will Give Good Home to Cannas", check for get-togethers on the Oklahoma Forum's Exchanges or Conversations page, post on Plant Exchange Forum that you can pay postage for cannas, heck, post on the Texas Forum; we have zillions here.

and especially do this a little later in the season:
    Cannas are beautiful & green right now (they're almost the *only* beautiful green things in Texas!), but people will be cutting them back in October or November, especially after the first hard freeze.

Have fun!

sylvia

ps: you might get back to me in November.
    I have some really tall soft orange cannas with red flower spikes, & some with green flower spikes, that will need to be thinned!

• weatherguy
    18 years ago

horn canna farm: 50 cannas (general varieties) for 30 bucks

• Boomer _Lady
    18 years ago

Cliff,
    Not sure where you are in OK but it may be worth the drive to Horn's Canna Farm in Carnegie.
    I always go to the Canna Festival in Sept. It's the 24th this year, I think. You can view acres & acres of cannas blooming which are just beautiful. Then place your order for spring shipping. Much better than picking them out from a picture on the net or in catalogs.

In addition to the Canna Farm tour & sale they have crafts, carnival rides & antique car show in the Carnegie Park.

• ChaseUdn
    18 years ago

Hello Cliff, I am also an Okie and just wanted to throw my two cents in about Horn Canna Farm. I've ordered from them many times in the past and have been very pleased. Hopefully one day I will find the time for their Canna Farm Tour...I bet it must be spectacular. Here is my Canna Cleopatra.

{{gwi:536066}}

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH