Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrear29

Canna Virus on Tropicanna?

AndreaR29
11 years ago

Does this look like Virus on my Canna Tropicanna?

{{gwi:536152}}

{{gwi:536153}}

This is the overall look of the plant pics

{{gwi:536154}}

{{gwi:536155}}

{{gwi:536156}}

{{gwi:536157}}

Comments (11)

• canna2grow
    11 years ago

Andrea,

Unfortunately the photos do depict the canna virus symptoms normally associated with CYMV and/or CYSV.

Sorry,
    Kent

• AndreaR29
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Kent, I thought so. Ive been having this plant for 2 months now and those 2 leaves are from new sprouts that just unfurled a week ago so before those leaves I hadn't seen any problems with the plant. Is that common for it to occur so late like that as if it had a virus all along or possibly just became infected?

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Pretty much every one that I have seen locally for sale has been virused....:( doesn't matter if big box store or independent garden center. All the Tropicannas are infected.

• green_thumb_guy
    11 years ago

I contacted the company that owns the plant patent for Tropicanna because all our local supplies of this canna were severely infected. I was told that they had clean stock coming from Isreal and that the plants being sold in Canada were old and should have been destroyed.

We have yet to see any clean plants...... This was 3 years or more ago.

I have found some clean plants from bootleg sources.... The name is Rainbow
    I was also told that they were spending lots to propagate clean stock

:(

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I wouldn't toss those out just yet.. There is somthing comming on the market very soon that will keep the virus dormant for about 3 months each time you feed with it.. I have seen it with my own eyes and its not just talk or hear say.. chop them off save the rhizo and next year you should be able to grow clean plants

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

My Tropicanna stock is clean from years ago. Also, I believe Karchesky canna has clean stock.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

thats a nice bengal you have there would like to have a rhizome off it looks like very clean stock

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

miketropic: e-mail in the spring if you are interested.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Nice canna pictures! The virused tropicana seems to be holding its own and putting on a good show, I've been growing mine for years and I go back and forth as to weather they have virus or not.

• Maria2013
    11 years ago

Mine got so sick looking last year that I decided to not winterize them...I really hope they do put that product on the market soon and we can go back growing beautiful plants

• green_thumb_guy
    10 years ago

Last year, all the stock for sale was infected here in southern Ontario, Canada.

I think I was just fed a line. I really think they don't care because they get their sales from their distributors.

I just have that unsuspecting consumers are the real losers thinking that they have done something wrong.

Lowes was selling cannas this year labelled as Tropicanna, but not with the official trademark of Tropicanna. Unfortunately, they were not Tropicanna. They actually look more like Australia, nice clean stock.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville