Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bloom time

Posted by scgekg Z5 NY (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 19:40

This is my first year growing any canna. I planted about 10 and most grew fine. Two have now started to bloom this week. In zone 5 is this when I should routinely expect blooms, (mid to late August) and is bloom time likely to be the same if planted in the same place next year? It seems if I dig them up and re-plant in the spring then every year is "the first year". I had expected them to be bigger plants and bloom earlier, so I am not certain I would plant in the same area. The tallest is about 4-5 feet at the flower. Most are not red-leaf. They are planted about 2 feet apart. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bloom time

As you will learn, each different cultivar will mature and begin blooming at slightly different times. Planting time and growing conditions vary for all of us each year but for your area mid/late July to mid-August might be the norm for blooms to be produced. In the northern climates greenhouses often start cannas early and when transplanted outside they are blooming in mid/late June. You may want to try to start a few of your cannas in 6 inch pots inside and transplant outside when the weather is settled.

As you suggest, every year is a first year and the plant spacing in your area typically can be from 14 to 24 inches. You should see an increase in rhizome growth and expansion over the next few weeks. Are your cannas getting 6 to 8 hour of sun and when did you plant? Let’s hope you have a late frost this year.

Kent

o

When did you plant them? What is the sun situation in that spot?

o

Thanks for the follow-up questions. It is mostly sun location and the soil is pretty good. It does get a little late afternoon shade. I planted them in late April (not certain the date) and there was nothing noticeable as growth above the surface for about 4 weeks. Next year I will think about starting in pots if the rhizome is not too large. I think the early blooming ones I see must have been started indoors or in greenbouses.

o

Sounds like a good spot with plenty of sun. Last winter here, there wasn't really winter, just a few frosts. The Cannas kept growing, then getting knocked back by frost - opportunistic growers whenever it's warm enough. So I'd say as long as it's not too soggy wet, get them back in the ground as soon as it's workable, thawed. When I lived in OH, I would often put them in pots when it seemed like spring outside during the daytime but the ground was still too cold and wet. Then you can sit the pot in the sun during the day, bring it in at night, or if you have a great sunny window, just put it there until it stops frosting outside at night. If the rhizome is too big, you can probably snap it in half. If you're not sure, just put a pic up here at that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here