Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna ID

Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 20:48

The yellows are a Florida native, but I have no idea what the red are. This is last years pictures, this year the reds are 7-8 feet tall, the upper stem is burgandy with a deep red (blue toned) flower. Any ideas? I can get a close up in the morning if needed.....Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna ID

Akaj9,
You have a terrific canna display in your water garden area. I would only be guessing about the cultivar names as there are numerous green leaved reds and yellows. I am reasonably sure the yellow you are growing is not the native canna specie C. flaccida. You have a much better garden hybrid. Does it produce viable seed?
Regards,
Kent

o

• Posted by akaj9 9 Central Florida (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 19:06

I acquired it in nature...so I'm pretty sure it is a native.....from the depths of a Florida swamp....In planned community...so I was saving not stealing :) It just really likes Fish poo!

o

Judging by the small size and the leaf color (dull grayish green) I would say this a variety of the species Canna glauca, which is mainly S American. This is a bit of a shoot as I have never seen this exact color before. The color of C.glauca is notoriously variable, however. Pink and orange are more normal. It is possible this has naturally hybridised with other garden varieties to produce the lovely deep pinkish red color. - Ian.
PS I'd love some seed.
I Fraser
PO Box 188
CEP 12914-970
Braganca Paulista
Brazil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here