Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

Is my canna infected?

v1rt
15 years ago

Can someone please look at my canna and tell if those are signs of virus infections?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Neil

{{gwi:536265}}

{{gwi:536267}}

{{gwi:536269}}

Comments (11)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I don't know. Mine that I thought was infected had puckered leaves. I thought since spring that it wasn't growing well. Most plants aren't looking so good now; it is very hot here. Your canna in its little pot could have dried out between watering.

• cannacrazy
    15 years ago

Is it a tropicanna? If so, according to Hart, it should have burgundy leaves with pink stripes instead of the green. Your plant looks just like the two I just destroyed. Check out this website from Hart:
    http://cannanews.blogspot.com/2008/01/thoughts-on-virus-from-hart-canna.html

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's called Black Knight Canna. Please let me know if I'm good.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm monitoring my mystique. About 3 days ago, the greenish thing that came out didn't have any brown scar. Now the green thing is turning burgundy but I do see some one small brown spot on the side. I'm so paranoid now that everytime I see a brown spot, I think it's virus infected. I was never like this with plants. LOL. I didn't care if leaves wilted and dry up.

So should just I ignore those small spot browning? :P

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

I have found heat distressed plants show many signs of canna virus.

Give it time and make sure conditions are right. Like in your case, the plant may need more shade. If it doesn't recover, it may have the virus and need to be destroyed...

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Or,,,,

Still thinking about your post today as it affects me too. I've got three canna like that right now. What I'm going to do is cut them to the ground and transplant them into pots.

If the new leaves come up with the virus patern, I'll chunk the plant. If the new leaves come up nice looking, I'll know that it was something else.

I think that's a very viable solution as the new leaves will really tell the story very quickly. And the old nightmarish leaves,,, I'm tired of looking at that mess anyways..

Good luck.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mine didn't get worse anymore. I have to take a pic. I think it's looking good. Maybe it was just stressed from the new weather. It came from Florida. :D

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Well I got inspired today and went out and did a bunch of cutting. If anything, the yard looks better for the effort. Those parched leaves are an eyesore.

I don't think any of my plants have virus. But we'll see. I also cut any stalk that bloomed. I think here in Texas we'll have enough growing season left for one more run.

Glad your canna are looking good.

Take care.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What do you think about my 2 Black Knights and Australia? The holes were caused by Japanese Beetles.

I saw a pic of an infected canna and it's totally different from mine. So I guess, mine is fine. :)

And also, on the other thread. I mentioned that my Australia is so thin. You can see her behind the 2 black knights and attached to the white stake.

Another thing I want to share, when I dug my mystique canna, the roots were not long but healthy. I planted it August 1. However, my bengal tiger canna when I pulled it yesterday, I couldn't believe how long the roots were. And I only planted them like 12 days ago. :)

{{gwi:536271}}

• nightrider767
    15 years ago

Niel they look fine. Keep in mind, they do grow at differant rates, based on type.

My theory is that the darker the leaf is, the less direct sun it wants. Now that can certainly vary based on temp. But I believe that the darker leafed canna will want a good amount of shade.

I have some canna that look just like yours and they get about 2 hours max sunlight during the day. They're under oak trees and get dappled sun throughout the day. They're doing very nice. In the shade, the leaves won't get quite the rich color, but they look great.

In my view half of gardening is planting, and then the other half is moving stuff. If a plant doesn't seem to like one spot, I don't hesitate to move it.

I've really come to like canna. Just an incredible plant.

Good luck with yours.

Mike

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cannas are really beautiful but I wish they were hardy so that I don't have to dig them up every year. This is my first month owning a canna. I fell in love with arctictropical's canna. :D

Then I fell in love with Bengal Tiger when I saw some pictures in google. Then I saw them personally at United Center in Chicago. I fell in love more. To me, Bengal Tiger is the most gorgeous canna I have seen. I have 3 of them and are finally doing well. I would like to buy 10 more BT rhizomes next year. I think, it's the foliage that makes it really sexy! ;)

I'm also watching Tropicanna Canna at Lowes. They're on sale now. I think they're not looking good because it doesn't get direct sun for 24 hours everyday. I also want to have Tropicanna.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery