Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna plants in Florida / Culture

Posted by Eric55 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 22:40

Hi,

My mother visited me in Massachusetts and fell in love with my Canna plant (Cleopatra variety). I'd like to give it to her but I don't know what to tell her about its growth cycles because of the Florida (Orlando) climate.

I had the tubers resting all winter (11-04 to 3-05). I started them in March, had them in pots on my deck by mid-April, and they are winding down their blooming period now.

Here are my questions:

1. Can I take it out of the pot, clean off the soil, and ship it overnight to be re-planted in Florida?

2. If it is better for me to order a canna from an online nursery and have it shipped to Florida? If so, what time of the year should I do this?

3. Can cannas bloom all year long in Florida or do they follow a temporary cycle? If so, what are the months to keep the cannas in the ground?

Thank you for your experience with this!

Sincerely, Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna plants in Florida / Culture

I think that in florida the canna will grow all year so no need to worry about 'cycles'.

Yes, you can ship a live plant although depending upon size you might want to chop it down a bit(I don't think I would want to pay for shipping a 6' plant). See my post in this thread for how a canna was recently shipped to me from a nursery for an idea of how to package it for the trip.

Alternately you could just give her a tuber after you dig yours up. I am pretty sure she could plant it anytime in Florida, but better wait for someone from Florida to comment on that.

o
RE: Canna plants in Florida / Culture

HI, now this one I know the answer to. I live 25 miles west of Orlando. My cannas stay in the ground all year and bloom all year. I do cover them on the couple of nights that it drops to frost. If I forget I get a couple of dead leaves that I have to cut off or I can just cut it back and it will come up again. When I trade, I cut mine back to about 3-4inches from the ground. I wash them good with a hose so I can see where I want to separate them, wrap them in wet newspaper, and put them in a plastic bag to ship in a priority box. At the other end you just plant them and watch for the new leaves to come up. They will come up in a couple of weeks depending on how well they are watered and fertilized. They go in full sun down here, but some of mine are in partial shade and they bloom too. Cannas is my favorite flower and very adictive. SHE WILL LOVE IT!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here