Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to expect

Posted by RetiredFlorida none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 12 at 23:36

Just received almost a dozen cuttings/diggings (what do you call them?) of red and yellow cannas from a generous soul and planted in pots as given to me. The roots have about a foot of plant above them but from what I've read here, I'm thinking maybe I should trim them close to ground level. Will they flower this season, I'm in West Central Florida?
Any advice would be welcome, very new gardner.
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to expect

Leave them be!

I recently took up Canna gardening, and started with a few small purchases from the USF Tropical Fair, supplemented by about 14 tissue culture plants from Florida Hill Nursery, all of them, about the size of yours.

Give them a good compost/manure mix, water daily, and provide them as much sun as possible.

Don't be alarmed if you see a leaf or two die along the way, as I'm finding they'll 'burn' through leaves quickly, while adding inches to their stalks, and sending up pups around them.

It's tough to say if they'll flower this season, but if it stays warm here (I'm in Pinellas) till October/November, it's definitely a possibility.

Lastly, don't trim them down unless a particular stalk has flowered. Once a stalk flowers, it's not going to grow further. At that point, trim the stalk back to the base, but leave the rest of the plant alone.

o
RE: What to expect

Thank you Foreverlad last night but apparently the posting didn't stick.

The roots or tubes that I received had anywhere from 8 to 12 inches of the plant above the root or ground level attached. I have since trimmed all back to just a few inches above the soil level. One plant, smaller stock, had new growth up through the middle and is probably over a foot tall now, just about to form leaves. I checked the rest and I see two sprouts forming on two of the plants. I had been keeping them in the garage but have since started putting them outdoors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here