Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjdbike

When do I need to pull them for winter?

jjdbike
12 years ago

Hello

I live in West Chester PA which is in south easter PA. When do I need to pull my cannas to store for winter?

Thanks.

JD

Comments (5)

• canna2grow
    12 years ago

JD,
    It is usually best to dig your cannas after a light/killing frost. The rhizomes will usually continue to slowly grow even after this time but pick a time that fits your schedule. Your storage area temperature may be a factor in the time schedule.
    Regards, Kent

• ifraser25
    12 years ago

The previous post is correct though it is better to "pull" them BEFORE any frost damage has occurred. If at all possible try to keep them in growth throughout the winter. In your area this will mean some form of heating. If you do they will start a lot more quickly come the spring.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

About two weeks after frost has killed them I have a corm/ rhizome/bulb digging day when my cannas, callas and dahlias (among other things) are dug and stored for winter. If rain or cold is in the forcast I might dig a little earlier.

tj

• rusty_blackhaw
    12 years ago

Cannas are hardy up through zone 7 at least, meaning they survive considerable frost into the teens and lower.

I dig mine and bring them in for storage no earlier than late October typically, though any time before the ground freezes should work. You don't want to be out there with an icy wind and temps below 40 digging up your canna rhizomes.

• rokal
    12 years ago

I cut mine down to the ground about two weeks ago after a killing frost. I plan to start digging them out this weekend.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio