Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do I need to pull them for winter?

Posted by jjdbike z6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 11 at 5:26

Hello
I live in West Chester PA which is in south easter PA. When do I need to pull my cannas to store for winter?
Thanks.
JD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do I need to pull them for winter?

JD,
It is usually best to dig your cannas after a light/killing frost. The rhizomes will usually continue to slowly grow even after this time but pick a time that fits your schedule. Your storage area temperature may be a factor in the time schedule.
Regards, Kent

o

The previous post is correct though it is better to "pull" them BEFORE any frost damage has occurred. If at all possible try to keep them in growth throughout the winter. In your area this will mean some form of heating. If you do they will start a lot more quickly come the spring.

o

About two weeks after frost has killed them I have a corm/ rhizome/bulb digging day when my cannas, callas and dahlias (among other things) are dug and stored for winter. If rain or cold is in the forcast I might dig a little earlier.

tj

o

Cannas are hardy up through zone 7 at least, meaning they survive considerable frost into the teens and lower.

I dig mine and bring them in for storage no earlier than late October typically, though any time before the ground freezes should work. You don't want to be out there with an icy wind and temps below 40 digging up your canna rhizomes.

o

• Posted by rokal LongIsland/z6b (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 8:11

I cut mine down to the ground about two weeks ago after a killing frost. I plan to start digging them out this weekend.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here