Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know this which canna this is?

Posted by poisondartfrog KY (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 7:45

I know this is a named Canna, but I don't know which one. I have tried to ID it, but can't seem to get past the precise red margin around the medium green leaves. All of the leaves have this very even red line around them (it almost looks like it is curled up slightly in this photo, but it is not) and the main stalk is also green with red. The bloom is similar in color to Wyoming, but is perhaps more orange without the golden undertone and the foliage is not bronze.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know this which canna this is?

Looks like my green foliage Wyoming...is it tall? Mine was about 7 to 8 feet this summer.

Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Wyoming

o

Thanks Peg! I think you nailed it. It is probably 6-7 feet tall in my garden, too. I was not aware that there was a green foliaged Wyoming. The red leaf margin looks exactly right.

o

My Wyoming have red in the leaves as well, are there more than one?

o

The Wyoming I am familiar with has bronzy purple foliage, not at all like the one I inquired about which is pure green except for that even line of red around the margin. After looking at the link Peggy provided and doing some searches I found that not only are there at least two foliage types and Wyoming can be purchased either way, but flower color also varies from ones with solid orange flowers, to ones with yellow/orange/red flowers.
I am baffled by Canna naming conventions. I have always been puzzled as to why some varieties have several different commercial names, but now I discover that what appear to be distinct cultivars are actually quite variable.
Can anyone explain away my confusion, or is that just the way it has been, is, and will be?

o

Canna 'Wyoming' has bronze foliage and orange flowers. It has been commercially available for many years.

Canna 'Green Wyoming' is one or more cannas with generally orange flowers and generally green leaves that people have taken to applying that name to.

There is no naming authority for cannas. Unless they are doing so to commit commercial fraud, people can start pretending that all cannas are variations of Canna 'Wyoming' without violating any rules.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here