Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tuber Storage

Posted by Grancru z5 MI (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 05 at 8:40

What is the best way to store tubers. I kept mine dark, dry and around 68 degrees last year in the basement but lost most.
Help!!

GRancru

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tuber Storage

when you dig them up, let the earth dry on them for a few days...never store them wet. Get some fresh peat moss or potting mix, toss in a bit of sulfur (great antifungal agent), put your rhizomes in a plastic bag with this peat/sulfur mix and toss them gently in it to get a coating on them. do not close the bags, just loosely fold the tops over. Store them in the dark in a cooler temperature....below 60 F. they should keep just fine. check them once or twice in the winter and remove any that appear to be rotting.....but the peat and sulfur should reduce the mortality rate significantly.

o

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 28, 05 at 17:27

68 degrees is too hot.

What I did last year, was treat them similar to how I treated my dahlia tubers.
1) Like Don say, dig them carefully. I clean the soil off of them and let them dry for a day or so. Never store them wet.
2) put them into a bag with a fungicide or some sort, and coat them well, .... like shake and bake. LOL
3) Here is where I differ. Then I wrapped them tightly in saran wrap and labelled the type and colour of the tuber.
4) these I placed into paper bag, and then wrapped loosely with old newspaper, and then placed them into a cardboard box.
5) I stored the cardboard box of tubers, in my cold cellar, but was absolutely certain that it did not freeze. Below 55 degrees is good, but above 35 degrees.
I lost NONE.

.... just an idea

Here is a link that might be useful: check out the end of this link

o

Would storing in the refrigerator work? We have a fridge in the basement and I've used it for storing tulips and daff bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here