Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tan seeds turned dark brown /black - Still able to use?

Posted by juliany 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 9:06

I was curious and decided to open one of the seed pods on my cannas that was still fairly green on the outside. Since I've never grown cannas till this year I wanted to see what the difference was. The seeds inside were a tan color and slightly moist so I laid them in a dish in our mudroom and this morning I noticed the tan seeds have turned a dark brown to black color. They are hard, not soft.
Anybody have this happen and any ideas as to why they turned color?
Will these seeds germinate?

Julia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tan seeds turned dark brown /black - Still able to use?

Yes, the dark hard canna seed is the mature seed.

o
RE: Tan seeds turned dark brown /black - Still able to use?

Thanks jenna1. I had read some posts where they said to toss the tan seeds but when I noticed this morning, the tan seeds turned dark brown/black, I was amazed that they seemed to be maturing even though they had not been when I opened the seed pod. I was not sure if this was typical with canna seeds that they would continue to mature, ie turn that dark brown/black color, even though they were not 'black' when the pod was opened. I'm bagging and marking these a questionable to germinate for next year.
Good to know I don't have to toss these.
Our first frost has not hit here yet so the cannas are still opening new flowers. I'll be digging the rhizomes out of the pots shortly after the stalks die off and save them for next year. Lots of seed pods to harvest as well.
Thanks also for the email on planting the seeds. I'll see what happens next year when I try to grow from seed and see which ones actually grow.

Julia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here