Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
australia canna

Posted by cannasrus 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 16, 13 at 10:40

I have big seed pods that come up empty? why is this happening ? are there male and female bulbs ? I only have one this year and I was hoping to grow next years stock from seed. I have also had problems keeping their bulbs over the winter, in a warm garage???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: australia canna

A number of our hybrid cultivars including Australia are unable to produce viable seed. Keep in mind that even if they do produce seed they are not true to name.

The typical reason these cultivars are sterile has to do with their breeding. They are a result of a cross that produced an odd number of chromosomes. They are called triploid offspring. A triploid is described as having three times the haploid number of chromosomes. The upside of these crosses is that the offspring typically produces superior size blooms.

Cultivars that typically produce viable seed are diploids. Many may be familiar with the result of a cross between a horse and a donkey. This cross will give us a mule. Mules are sterile but made excellent choices in some areas as draft animals.

Storage issues will need more information as to what you did after digging.

Kent

o

I agree with Kent, BUT just like a mule every so often one isn't sterile and will produce seed. I have a friend who crossed pretoria when everyone said it wouldn't due to the triploid factor. there is a HIGH chance you will never get seed but always check the pods anyway for good measure

o

Thanks, I have kept 2 under lights this winter and they look great and ready for summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here