Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happycthulhu

I found a box of Canna on the street....

happycthulhu
18 years ago

And I would like to know if I need to go ahead and replant them or just cut them off at the root and store the root to be planted in the spring.

(Why anyone would just throw them away is beyond me.)

Comments (9)

• jroot
    18 years ago

Maybe they had too many. Maybe they had spider mites on the plant. Maybe they were waiting for someone who would appreciate them.

Seriously, at this point, I think I would start to get them ready for winter. If you lose a few, what is the loss besides the effort? I don't think we have enough time left in the season to get them going and storing energy for another year. ...just my humble opinion.

• happycthulhu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So, I should just cut the tops off and store them in a cool dark place in a paper sack
    (very new to canna and elephant ears. I found a whole bunch of those as well.)

• sylviatexas1
    18 years ago

I would plant those cannas in the garden.

In our warm zones, we don't have to dig & store cannas.
    They'll do fine (better!) in the ground.

Congratulations on your find, & enjoy!

sylvia

ps: In the "Do as I say, not as I did" department:

Give them some rooooom.

A couple of years ago,I planted a bunch of cannas very close together to get an instant effect.

They're everywhere.

There are so many roots that the foliage wilts if I don't water every day.

They're pushing each other out of the ground, they're
    squabbling & fighting among themselves.

I've had to break up riots among the cannas.

It's a jungle out there.

• mareas
    18 years ago

I second that opinion - plant those canna rhizomes now in a sunny spot and let them grow until frost stops them. In my zone 7, I just leave them in the ground for the Winter & they do fine.

Sylvia is a HOOT! Them cannas do spread quickly... marea

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

Just wondering how HappyC would treat them to get rid of any possible 'freeloaders' like spider mites and such, in case that is why they were thrown out. I have learned (the hard way) that any iris I 'rescue' should get a bath in 10%bleach solution, and be allowed to dry out for a few days, to rid themselves of any borers. Would this work for the cannas in case of mites and other freeloaders?

• happycthulhu
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm going to be cutting the tops off when it starts to get cold and hope for the best.

• tomstrees
    18 years ago

you've found gold ~ Tom

• maddigger
    18 years ago

If you tell me where you found them, they may be mine. How they got to NJ is beyond me? I don't imagine you'd mail them back to me?

• cantstopgardening
    18 years ago

maddigger, I thought cannas had eyes, not thumbs. Don't know if they hitch-hiked all that way. :-) Maybe they batted their eyes at a lonely driver.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource