Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I found a box of Canna on the street....

Posted by HappyCthulhu 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 8, 05 at 11:12

And I would like to know if I need to go ahead and replant them or just cut them off at the root and store the root to be planted in the spring.

(Why anyone would just throw them away is beyond me.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I found a box of Canna on the street....

• Posted by Jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 8, 05 at 19:47

Maybe they had too many. Maybe they had spider mites on the plant. Maybe they were waiting for someone who would appreciate them.

Seriously, at this point, I think I would start to get them ready for winter. If you lose a few, what is the loss besides the effort? I don't think we have enough time left in the season to get them going and storing energy for another year. ...just my humble opinion.

o

So, I should just cut the tops off and store them in a cool dark place in a paper sack
(very new to canna and elephant ears. I found a whole bunch of those as well.)

o

I would plant those cannas in the garden.

In our warm zones, we don't have to dig & store cannas.
They'll do fine (better!) in the ground.

Congratulations on your find, & enjoy!

sylvia

ps: In the "Do as I say, not as I did" department:

Give them some rooooom.

A couple of years ago,I planted a bunch of cannas very close together to get an instant effect.

They're everywhere.

There are so many roots that the foliage wilts if I don't water every day.

They're pushing each other out of the ground, they're
squabbling & fighting among themselves.

I've had to break up riots among the cannas.

It's a jungle out there.

o

• Posted by mareas z7 Southern OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 9, 05 at 0:00

I second that opinion - plant those canna rhizomes now in a sunny spot and let them grow until frost stops them. In my zone 7, I just leave them in the ground for the Winter & they do fine.

Sylvia is a HOOT! Them cannas do spread quickly... marea

o

Just wondering how HappyC would treat them to get rid of any possible 'freeloaders' like spider mites and such, in case that is why they were thrown out. I have learned (the hard way) that any iris I 'rescue' should get a bath in 10%bleach solution, and be allowed to dry out for a few days, to rid themselves of any borers. Would this work for the cannas in case of mites and other freeloaders?

o

I'm going to be cutting the tops off when it starts to get cold and hope for the best.

o

you've found gold ~ Tom

o

If you tell me where you found them, they may be mine. How they got to NJ is beyond me? I don't imagine you'd mail them back to me?

o

maddigger, I thought cannas had eyes, not thumbs. Don't know if they hitch-hiked all that way. :-) Maybe they batted their eyes at a lonely driver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here