Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
South Pacific Scarlet seeds viable?

Posted by digdougdig 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 9, 13 at 11:15

Hi! I grew some South Pacific Scarlet cannas from seed this year. They really were impressive and I'm going to save the rhizomes for next year.
I am wondering if I also collect seeds from these plants will they be viable and come true to the variety if I plant them next year? If so, how should they be stored over the winter? In the fridge or just in a cool basement?

Thanks!
Doug

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: South Pacific Scarlet seeds viable?

Doug,

I have never grown this cultivar which is a recent release from American Takii and was an All American Selection. Takii is well known for their seed strain cannas produced in the past. They describe it to be a seed propagated F -1 variety. I assume this cultivar will produce seed but because it is seed generated the offspring will not be clones of the parent plant. You will need to propagate from your rhizomes.

Seed can be easily stored a number of ways. I personally place the mature seed in an open container and sit it on a shelf or a plastic zip lock bag with holes punched to allow any moisture to escape.

Kent

o
RE: South Pacific Scarlet seeds viable?

Kent,

Thanks for the response. I had a feeling that they wouldn't be clones. I guess I could plant some of the seeds and see what they look like. I should have plenty of rhizomes to grow more of the original cultivar.

Doug

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here