Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna Babies

Posted by ilovetogrow 9B Jax FL (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 11 at 11:55

Two weeks ago I was reading a post about seedlings so outside I went and found seeds off of my favorite Red Dragon. It is a new one given to me this year and has been stupendous in its growth and blooming. Here are the seeds I started last Sunday after nicking and soaking. Have a great day. 9.11 Remembered. Paula

Photobucket
Cana Babies

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna Babies

Interesting post! Not being familiar with a canna cultivar named �Red Dragon�, I did a search and found it listed as a strain of Premier Medical Cannabis. In fairness, you do have canna seedlings growing and apparently not cannabis.
Kent

o

Kent, I was given the plant for free. This is what the parent plant looks like. It has been a outstanding grower as have been the seedlings. Wished my others grew this good. The previous owner has since called it 'Dragon's Breath' also. He has no idea as the wife is the gardener. Any help appreciated. Paula
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Paula,
I cannot give you a positive id on your seedlings but we need to consider a few important points. First; we are dealing with "seedlings" and because we cannot know with any certainty the true parentage of the offspring we should consider that each individual plant is a hybrid of its parent/parents. It does not matter how much the seedling appears to resemble the mother plant. The only exception to this rule applies to a true specie canna and its selfed offspring.
In your case, the photo of the parent plants does indicate a phenotype that "may" match either a strain of C. compacta (aka C. Robert Kemp) or C. indica. Both of these can breed true.
By observing your offspring seedlings and with better photos for taxonomic evaluation we might get a correct identification. This is difficult to achieve from photos.
For the time being, you should consider each seedling as a separate plant and not assign the same name to the entire group of seedlings because the DNA of each plant would likely be somewhat diverse.
If the plants should prove to be one of the specie cannas, that name would apply. I hope you are not terribly confused by my abbreviated reply. The most important point is if the seedlings grow well and you enjoy their display, everything else is immaterial.
Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here