Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicurn1

wintering cannas

nicurn1
14 years ago

I live in zone 6. How do I winter my cannas? And when do I replant them if I need to dig them up. I have read conflicting reports for zone 6 concerning this plant. I would appreciate advice. thanks.

Comments (10)

• canna2grow
    14 years ago

Digging and storing cannas has been discussed in several threads. Do a search for "Canna Storage Suggestions" or follow the link:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/canna/msg1022430619189.html?39
    Remember that each of us has their own particular circumstances and one may need to modify the suggestions to fit their needs and abilities.
    In zone 6 and colder, you will likely need to dig your cannas and divide the clumps and replant in the spring after danger of frost has passed; in zone 7 some are able to mulch well and leave their cannas in the ground (do not leave in exposed containers).

Kent

• nicurn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the suggestion

• jlhart76
    14 years ago

I live in Oklahoma & leave mine in the ground. Every spring & fall I have to thin them out & usually get 2-3 large sacks full of the bulbs. As far as I can tell, the things are un-killable, unless I actually try to take care of them. The more I neglect them, the better they do.

• sophie12
    14 years ago

just in from cutting mine down, next i have the joy of digging them and finding a place to stash them for the winter---don't even try to keep varieties seperated---the mix looks nice!

• daveainva
    14 years ago

I have been cutting down the stalks when frost hits. Then I heap dry leaves over the stalks and put tomato cages over the leaves to keep them in place. Mounding the leaves to shed water seems important. We harvested several bushels from a 15'X 8' bed and gave them to the local Gift & Thrift for sale.

• arctictropical
    14 years ago

Since I have over 20 beds of cannas (several thousand rhizomes), it has taken me every bit of spare time since our killing frost on October 1, to dig them, and I'm not done yet! What a pain. But it's worth it. I must have over 30 boxes of cannas stored away so far. I've tried several methods. The best way I have found is to put large black trash bags inside wax/plastic coated grocery produce boxes (made for lettuce, peppers, celery, etc.), then as you fill the bags with the rhizomes, add peat moss as you go. When filled, tie up the bag, close the box, and store in the basement where it does not get below about 50-55 degrees. I rarely loose any rhizomes with this method.

• sandy0225
    14 years ago

dig them and put them in storage tubs with lids. Put them down in your basement. Leave the lids off for a couple of weeks, then put the lids on. Check them in a few days, did moisture build up? if it did, then leave them off a few more days. If it didn't, check them again in a week. Anytime you see moisture build up, leave the lids off a few days. Finally, they'll reach a balance and then after that they'll literally keep for years in the tub. I have some left from last fall that are still fine.

• hankg_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy0225,
    I've raised and tried to store cannas with varying success. Your post has been printed/saved by me. The one question I have is, exactly what do you mean by moisture build up?
    Thanks, Hank

• farmingvillefarmer
    14 years ago

I kept mine in a warm room in the basement last year. Some i had no room for so i threw them in a non-covered plastic waste basket. Well they grew! and there wasn't even any dirt! I put them outside in the spring and they actually flowered. These things grow and multiply like weeds!

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I Just finished digging up my cannas. Usually I wait until everything above ground has been killed by frost but this year just the leaves got hit. I have been holding off digging them up but I didn't want to wait any longer. The canes are still green. Do I cut the green canes off now or lay them out and wait for the canes to dry and die off? I also don't have an attached garage or a basement to store them in. My best best during the coldest part of the winter so far has been in a living room closet under the stairs. I do have to leave the storage box partially open so that they don't get moldy.

Penny