Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Complimentary plantings with Canna

Posted by rick.d 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 24, 09 at 14:58

I have some raised beds around my backyard where I planted some Canna this year. I love it and plan on planting a lot more.

I'm curious to find you what some of you are doing during the months when the Canna is dormant? Are you planting something else in it's place? I hate the idea of having a big empty spot where the canna 'used to be'.

My raised beds are about 24"-30" deep (from front to back). I was thinking of planting something evergreen in the front section and keeping the canna in back. Anyone have success with this? If so, what plants have you used?

Thanks!

Rick D.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Complimentary plantings with Canna

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 14:30

I did the oppisit. My cannas are sprinkles through out my beds to add that tropical feel. I have hydrangea, azaleas, japanese maples, brugs, some grasses, dogwoods, crepe myrtals, ane also in a butterfly bed with bush, etc. Try to find pics for a few ideas.

these have also shot up to over 6 ft
veiw of center of side bed
The medium peach has now shot up to 5ft.
Photobucket
Tropicanna finally blooming
Stiped Beauty

o

mcbdz,

What are the plants with the green strap leaves in photo #2 (lower right corner), and in the pots in the last photo?

Thanks!

o

• Posted by mcbdz 8 Louisiana (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 29, 09 at 13:05

Louisiana Swamp Lily, White Spider lily.
bloomingwhite spider lily/Swamp Lily

o

Wow, Louisiana Swamp Lily is beautiful and interesting looking. How big does the plant get? Do they need lots of water and sun? I like to plant drought tolerant plants. We have water shortage in bay area.

You can also combine Canna with ginger plants. Their culture is similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here