Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
novicegardener2008

Beginner Question!

novicegardener2008
14 years ago

I have about 20+ cannas in a little 3 by 3ft area and they are all 5 or 6 ft. What do I do with them?? I moved into this house last year and these were hear and I don't think they really took care of anything just planted tons of stuff and left it. I left them there over the winter last year and they obviously didn't die. I would love to have less in that area and I am hoping I can cut them down to the ground so maybe they won't get so big next year??

Comments (10)

• taz6122
    14 years ago

They will get just as big, maybe bigger. You need to thin them by digging or pulling them up. They will keep multiplying so if you want to keep just a few then you need to thin them every year. Do you know what variety they are? I might be interested in the ones you pull up. If not there are others that would love to have them.

• novicegardener2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have no idea what variety. The ones in the back have red flowers and the ones by my house are orange and yellow. I will be digging some up then! You are welcome to them if you want. And if I cut them all down to the ground right now that would be fine??

Thanks for the help!

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

I plant for hummingbirds and would be interested in some of the bulbs if you have some to spare. Perhaps trade them for some salvia seeds? My Autumn sages are seeding now and I have them in white, pink and purple. Email me if interested (sk290 at yahoo). Thanks!

Sandra

• taz6122
    14 years ago

If you cut them down now they would probably die. I would wait until the first frost. When you get ready to dig them I will pay postage for the orange and yellow. I have red indian shot. Take a look at my trade list to see if there's anything you would like in trade and email me when ready.

• novicegardener2008
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok well the nursery told me to go ahead and dig them up some to thin out since I have so many. They SAID they would be fine if I cut them down so I hope they are right b/c I already did. But they look crazy, are they all supposed to be clumped together like this with crazy roots??!!

{{gwi:537479}}

{{gwi:537480}}

{{gwi:537481}}

• mcbdz
    14 years ago

Yes. That looks normal. I hope they are giving you some credit because, they are going to sell them.
    Pattie

• taz6122
    14 years ago

"I hope they are giving you some credit because, they are going to sell them."

Pattie I hope you are not talking about me! I want more colors in my yard next year. Anyway if I did want to sell them, SO WHAT! I'm willing to trade anything I have in abundance. What makes you even say something like that?? LOL Did you look into your crystal ball?

ng I wasn't thinking about how late in the year it actually was and if you air dry them for a couple of days they will probably be fine. One thing you don't want to do is leave them in the sun. They will start growing again if you do and that would lead to their demise.

• origami_master
    14 years ago

I think Pattie means that if you're giving them to the nursery, the nursery's just going to sell them and make a profit themselves

• mcbdz
    14 years ago

Yes, I was referring to the nursery. Around here my sister trades a lot of her water gardening plants for credit with a nursery so she can get other things she needs like fertilizer, soil, or different plants. They will make a profit and you should get something for providing them with stock.
    Pattie

• taz6122
    14 years ago

That's what I get for speed reading, read right over the "them" part of "dig them up some". Sorry Pattie

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996