Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
storing rhizomes in the fridge

Posted by nyssaman Z6 ON (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 16:40

I'm thinking about storing my canna rhizomes in the fridge - I'm not looking for answers like it should work - Please only respond if you have actually stored these in the fridge and they have successfully grown the following spring. Likewise if you are a very experienced gardener let me know if this won't work

cheers

Jeff

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: storing rhizomes in the fridge

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 13, 07 at 18:56

Jeff,

Most fridges have their mean temperature a bit above freezing. That is too cold for a long period for the rhizomes. If you could regulate your fridge to about 45-50 degrees F, then it may be okay. You may have to think about condensation though. I also find that most fridges dehydrate. Just think about carrots that have been there for several weeks. They are not good at all. As I mentioned to you recently in person, try to find a place that is consistently cool for the winter. I think you'll have better success.

o
RE: storing rhizomes in the fridge

I guess I am wondering why you would want or need to store in the fridge? If you want to experiment to prove it can be done, have at it.

If you read past post most of us store in a cool room as Jroot suggested with success. It is your choice and what your final objective/outcome goal for next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here