Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
struwwelpeter

Pic of Small Blooming Pink Sunburst in Pot

struwwelpeter
14 years ago

First time that I bloomed it this small.

{{gwi:537637}}

If I get a better photo, I will replace this one.

Comments (10)

• msirie
    14 years ago

That is so beautiful! Have long have you had it? What is the name of that species? Would you happen to have any seeds. I do have a few Canna seeds if you would like to do a trade.

• Sandra Tran
    14 years ago

They are beautiful indeed. I was wondering about the size of that pot. Usually I'm under the impression that plants need room to grow and I would be inclined to repot them into a bigger pot. However, I have seen many photos where they are crowded into a pot that looks small but the plants look very healthy and happy. Do cannas like that or would you repot it into a larger container?

Sandra

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Have long have you had it?

I have maintained divisions from a rhizome I bought about 6 years ago.

What is the name of that species?

It is a cultivar, Canna 'Pink Sunburst'

Would you happen to have any seeds.

Yes, but the seed progeny won't have variegated foliage because that variegation is the result of the plant being a chimera which means it has a mixture of cells with two different gene types. In my experience, about half of the offspring will be solid green and the other half solid bronze, all with flowers identical to Pink Sunburst. BTW, I have heard about a case of a human chimera that was a mixture of non-identical twins. See Human Chimeras

Do cannas like that or would you repot it into a larger container?

No, they don't like it and I will eventually repot it into a larger container. It is unusual for it to bloom at that size. This is normal size in 14" pots:
    {{gwi:537639}}

Note the saucers that I keep filled with water. Without those saucers, the pots would dry out within 8 hrs., on a hot day. I also had the small canna in a saucer but took the photo without it.

• taz6122
    14 years ago

From my experience it has nothing to do with size but age. I have canna that are all the same age and are all blooming. The ones in small pots are only 16-24" and the ones in the ground are 36-48". I grew them all from seed that germinated within 4 days from each other. This is actually the second flower spike on the smaller plant and I have already harvested seeds from it. It was only 12" when the first bloom appeared.

{{gwi:537640}}

• jaceysgranny
    14 years ago

I love that canna, it's spectacular. Are they hard to find? I'd love to have one.

Nancy

• mjd4001
    14 years ago

Hello

For some reason, both my tropicannas and australias have foliage that roll up tight. The plants are squeaky clean--no sign of pest, no holes, no leaf damage. They're well watered, sometimes 2X the daily in the hot zone 9 sacramento summer temps (high 90s, low 100s). I notice that the leaf roll is more pronounced around nightfall. The plants are in full sun. Help!

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

For some reason, both my tropicannas and australias have foliage that roll up tight.

My cannas have never exhibited that symptom. Otherwise, I might suspect a potassium deficiency. Also, I note that zinc deficiencies are common in California soils. Have you fertilized?

You should post in a separate thread.

• roxxanne
    14 years ago

Would you consider trading a small piece of Pink Sunburst for some Journey's End?
    Roxanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Journey's End/Dave's Garden

• struwwelpeter
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Would you consider trading a small piece of Pink Sunburst for some Journey's End?
    Roxanne

Sorry, I am only interested in variegated foliage types and the only common one that I never had is Tropicanna Gold.

In any case, the time to trade is in the spring because that makes the grower responsible for overwintering his rhizome before trading.

• jakkom
    14 years ago

Oooh, I have that one too! Mine is in the ground, though, and because I don't water very much (we're in the third year of a drought) I'm just glad it survives, although it doesn't bloom much. Mine stays a very neat 2' high, unlike the usual 'dwarf' cannas like Lucifer that are 5' plants.

I love the color of the blooms against the variegated leaves. I think it's the prettiest canna of all.
    {{gwi:537641}}