Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blue canna

Posted by asageman2008 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 21, 08 at 17:14

hI,

I saw A Canna on EBAY that I've never seen before and was wondering if anybody else has an idea. it is a Blue leafed Canna but had BRIGHT blue-purple leaves with a Coral flower. The person listing said they didn't know the name and I can't find it on any search engine. Let me know if you have any ideas. THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blue canna

Maybe, this is what you saw.
EBAY Link - LIVE PLANTS Canna Cannas EXOTIC RARE Purp Tropical

I saw this ebay ad the other day. I'm going to place a huge bid later. Hehehe. Just kidding.

Honestly, about that Indian Shot canna on ebay, the color looks fake to me. It looks like it was modififed in Photoshop. The current bid is at $41 now. I won't spend that much on Canna.

I looked Purpurea on google and it just looks like a Mystique to me or Black Knight Canna.

Here is another pic from google of purpurea that I found.

And more information about Purpurea Indian Shot
Indian Shot Canna

It's your call.

o

You could have got it for only $150.00?

o

hey jimhardy,

Nice to see you here as well. Looks like the picture was altered to contain more blue highlights and midtones. Look at the ebay link I sent above and look at the other links I sent which describes the same type.

o
RE: ... blue canna

honestly, the seller got a jackpot there. $123 for 2 :)

Look at the picture below taken from the listing. The blue part is not consistent. If you look at one of the flower stem, it's color blue but most of the other flower stems are the real color.

Also, if you also notice the lowest leaf a little above the plant with the yellow flower, the foliage of this canna is maroon. I think, that part was not modified.

I just feel very sorry for the buyer if my guess is correct. If it's indeed like color blue like the picture posted by the seller, all I can say is WOW, phenomal. Really unique, rare and gorgeous.

o
RE: ... photoshop'ing it

check this out, here is a shot of my Mystique Canna I took this afternoon.

The last 3 pictures were altered in Photoshop via Hue/Saturation. :P hehehe.

Real life color. No Photoshop modification

Modified via Hue/Saturation - color 1

I blurred the pic very little so that edges on the leaves aren't so obvious.
Modified via Hue/Saturation - color 2

Modified via Hue/Saturation - color 3

o

Well,I don't know what to say about that,except(as you mentioned)if they are that color they are very cool cannas and if I bought them only to find out next year that they are not that color$(125.00 later)I would be very upset to say the least!I think I will list some of my stutgart cannas as Musa Ae Ae and see if I can make a few $thousand$-not-LOL

o

hi jimhardy, where and how can we chat privately?

o

That was a bronze canna and no it is not like that.Its got purple margins and a bronze tinted center on the leaf.I grow about 12 varieties of canna and none are blue.If there was I'm sure it would be at the fnats show and in a few emails from growers and I've never heard of it.Not to say there is'nt one but I doubt it.

o

I'm no canna expert but I'm positive that is photoshopped and not really that blue. Some poor sap is getting ripped off.

o

DEFINITELY photoshopped .. lol

o

Looks like an 'Intrigue' that's been major-league PhotoShopped.

o

When I corrected his huge original picture, it looked like Black Knight to me. After correcting, his bluish concrete floor also came to life and likewise for the pool. LOL :D

o

So anyone bought one of these blue cannas?? Is it blue?
I was going to buy one of these.

Thanks

GrowDan

o

The ebay auction for the "tropical blue" cannas is 330328101987.I have the cannas that seller is selling(no I did not buy them from ebay).That is intrigue canna.If you google intrigue canna you will know that it is a two toned foliage canna.When mine break dormancy that are a dark deep maroon and as summer progresses they go to red, dark brown then green.

How the seller see the blue leaves is when dusk is setting in.Dusk makes the leaves appear blue. My intrigue cannas appear blue only at dusk.I guess because of all the colors.It is blue for a very very short time.

This ebay auction is very misleading and the seller is selling nothing but intrigue cannas.Her buyers are going to be very upset when they see they are not blue leaved.The intrigue flower is a dark peach color.The only truth her auction has is when they mention that the leaves are long and pointy also.That is right the intrigue canna leaves are long slender and pointy.

o

I don't know. The seller has 100 percent positive feedback. Also Intrigue has salmon flowers and this one has coral pink (quite different). But you just never know.

o

You must a be a photoshop expert. Great job!

o

Some people will want to believe anything....someone posted a pic of water hyacinths that were photoshopped red (they are lavender) on a pond forum I'm a member of and most of us said they were photoshopped but some got mad at us for bursting their bubbles....

o

Anyone who would spend that much on a plant obviously has money to burn. I love plants of all shapes and colors but will never spend more than a few bucks on one. I can't tell if it's been photoshopped but one thing is for sure. Noone is supposed to post pictures that aren't theirs unless they have permission from the rightful owner.

o
RE: RE:blue canna

Just wanted to let you all know that two of these cannas are back up for sale on Ebay by the not so pleased buyer at a reduced price.
Item #230363840572

o

There is more than one seller on Ebay selling C. Intrique as the "very rare blue canna".

o

I've grown iris, cannas, daylilies, and hostas for 25 years; as well as tropical fish. I don't remember the name but it's a typical 3-5ft green with tiny flowers canna that I grew back about 1986 when we went through a summer with 90 some days above 100 degrees. I was also 4-5 years into experimenting with compost recipes. Many of my Stella D'Oro daylilies bloomed as doubles. Several "sterile" varieties produced seeds, and this particular canna grew to over 13' tall. Somewhere I have pictures. I thought I had created a "super mix" of compost. A MAJOR supplier offered me $10,000 for the recipe. A local (huge) daylily nursery offered me $5,000 for the Stella doubles. Unfortunately I have a conscience and wanted to grow them both another year or two to be sure it was the mix. It was not. It was the heat. Cannas like many other things in nature react to soil/water/heat conditions in some times amazing ways. notice the palm plant and what appears to be large pieces of lava rock and a very small canna plant. It's entirely possible (but I agree more likely photoshopped) that this plant was reacting (favorably or not...many fish darken up conciderably when ill and die soon after) to something in the soil. If it does not repeat after being grown and divided and regrown it's not worth a penny. I had an award winning stunning neon blue/gold snakeskin guppy male you would spot instantly in 100 tanks from 30 feet away. I never got babies out of him. Fun to watch and try for 2 years but worthless.....

o

BLUE is NOT a colour in the genetics of canna.
That seller heavily photo shopped that photo.

o

I not a canna person. But I think the rocks on the right and the sidewalk in the lower left look a little blue as well. Wonder if the rare blue rocks are for sale??? 8-)

Have fun folks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here