Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna-cide by duck

Posted by dissmith z8b SC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 9, 06 at 18:02

Today...my webbed-footed Muscovy duck friends chewed a prized Canna down to a height of 4" (also ate a Xanthosoma to the ground, and sheered off half a Colocasia Black Beauty!!) I don't have enough cayenne & wire cages. :O I guess I'm just wondering if it can recover, or have enough time to recover before it gets truly cold (Nov.). I've always left mine in-ground over winter when they die down but always come back(Z8). Any suggestions? Thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna-cide by duck

I feel your pain! I found a 4" tuber discard growing in the compost pile late Spring. I rescued the little guy and potted him so he could catch up to the rest of the gang. Exploring woodchuck bit him off at the soil level, tasted him a little and left the body for me to find... I'll see how it grows next year... That was the first animal damage in four years since the Rottweiller vs. slingshot/paintball episode!

o

LOL! OK, I'm not even gonna ask about the Rottweiller paintball thing! But I thank you for the sympathy. Darn ducks were back this morning, sniffing around the Gingers! I was out there like a crazy person trying to run them off. (They don't scare easily.) Guess I'll just see how the Canna does til it starts to get frosty, and remain on guard.

o

Aargghh!! Ok, today they snacked on an Alocasia and ate all the Parrot Feather out of my little water garden! I nearly lost it! Considered having duck for dinner! (kidding. really.) I refuse to cover my entire garden in wire and can't stand guard 24/7! I will have to find some kind of duck repellant..somehow. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here