Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is eating my cannas?

Posted by jrzgurl 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 24, 11 at 20:14

something has been hungry this past week & I don't know what it is...I don't see any grasshoppers, slugs,catepillars etc. Any help is appreciated...thx

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is eating my cannas?

It's difficult to guess what might be feeding on your cannas because you do not indicate where you are located. Assuming you are in zone 9, we need to know if that is on the west coast or the deep South.
Not sighting the cause during the day indicates the problem likely is a night feeder. This often is slugs or snails depending on your location. It takes a rather large population to do the damage seen. You need to check abound the base of the plants and under any mulch or in crevasses for your problem. Most night feeders like to hide in a dark, moist place in the day.
You might try investigating at night with a flashlight. Good luck!
Kent

o

Unfortunately Cannas are a gourmet meal for a variety of garden pests. Your best bet is to get up early and try and catch them at it. Major suspects: snails and caterpillars but it could also be weevils. Once you know what they are you can go to your local garden store and ask for a remedy. Unless it is snails Neem Oil is best. With snails just pick em off and smash em!!! Good luck. - Ian

o

Snails do that to mine, it doesn`t take many with these giant snails we have here. Luckily our chickens LOVE snails
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here