Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should Cannas bloom the fisrt season

Posted by joefalco z8 MB SC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 5, 05 at 21:14

I read the FAQ and cannot find the answer. I Planted some canna bulbs this Spring for the first time and they have all come up, but they have been on the small side and only one bloomed briefly.

Could the bulbs have been to small? I purchased them at Home Depot. Should they come back beter next year?

The Faq says lots of water which I didn't know and didn't do.

Since they like lots of water are the a good companion for Banana plants? Does anyone have any PICS of the two planted together?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should Cannas bloom the fisrt season

They really should bloom the first season. Cannas started from seed will often bloom the first season, so rhizomes should definitely bloom. I bought some from Lowes & Home Depot this year, mine have all bloomed, but not as much as I would have liked. They really like hot weather & lots of water, & we had a rather cool spring here this year, so they were slower to take off. I believe lots of people plant them with bananas

o

My Canna had lots of sun, water & organic matter. They bloomed continuously from May till now. Some of them, I had to move from direct afternoon sun, but they still had a lot of heat (black plastic pots). The one I had planted in a concrete pot, bloomed, but not quite as profusely. I had nine different varieties purchased from neoma's garden (e-bay) this year.

o

Grown with good care, good light, and heat ..cannas should have no problem to bloom midsummer thru fall.
Alice

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here