Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
over wintering options

Posted by canna1915 6 (mikeman1915@yahoo.com) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 21:28

Friends,
I'm in zone 6 & I know I should dig up my rhizomes & store them in my garage as I did last year. It might be hard for me to do that this year & I was wondering if I had any "real" options to keep them in the ground and not have them freeze. They are all in the middle of my yard ( harder I know).

Is there a product, perhaps, that I could cover them with?

Thanks,

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: over wintering options

Mike if we have a winter like we had last year you might have a chance.

If you do not have any other option but to leave them in the ground I would try covering them first with evergreen needles or limbs. Have some one save you some of their christmas tree limbs when they throw them out if you do not have any. Next get styrofoam boxes and put them over the plants. Put a rock over them so they do not blow away. cover the boxes with extra limbs.

I left mine outside for two weeks last winter the pots were frozen solid but they still survived. It is wet and freezing that kill cannas. If you can keep as much moisture out as possible and as I said we have a mild winter you have a good chance. I would lay the boxes and EG limbs around the planting area also.

This process will build a insulated house around your plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here