Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My cannas

Posted by v1rtu0s1ty Zone 5a, Northern IL (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 22:09

Good evening folks. I want to share the Cannas I grew this year. The japanese beetles ate about 95% of all the cannas I grew. The foliage was beautiful until early July. The numbers are getting worst every year. The numbers had doubled.

Anyways, here are the pics.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My cannas

What did you do to try and fail to control the Japanese beetles? I don't think that I have ever seen a Japanese beetle, in person.

o

Last year, I used a cup of water with soap. I just tap them and they drop. I usually do this in the afternoon. If I do this in the morning, they'll fly. They're very harmless. However, there were tons of them this year that I just accepted that I lost the battle against them. It's not just the canna that they love. They also love my hollyhocks, 4 o' clocks, and zinnias. They ate my Ensete Maurelii(beside the cannas) but the damage was very small. I was really shocked that they did very small damage to the Ensete M. They didn't touch my sunflowers, russian sage. Oh, they also loved my dahlias.

I see very very few jap beetles now to almost gone. Looks like I'll have a nice flower on the bengal tiger. Also, the jap beetles didn't do a lot of damage to the leaves of canna australia or canna tropicanna black. They did ruin the flowers but not the leaves.

This is how they look like.
Japanese Beetles

o

If I were you, I would spray with Sevin at the first signs damage.

o

I was also told by a neighbor. How is it sprayed, is it sprayed on the plants or on the ground?

o

It is sprayed on the plants. Apparently, Milky Spore is applied to the ground to kill grubs. See http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fruit/msg0616124625787.html

I have no experience with either.

o

Thanks for the info! :) I'll try sevin next year. I'll use 3oz/gallon. I'll make sure to watch them mid June. That's when I noticed they started to come out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here