Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving cannas inside

Posted by Deb_E z7/WA (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 1:16

I picked up a rather spent-looking canna today for free (some kind of white and light green variegated)and would like to have as a houseplant this winter. It was soaking in water at the store. Should I wash the current soil off and repot in sterile indoor soil? Should I cut it back? I can see new shoots coming up next to the main plant which is about 3 feet tall. I'd like to use it in the center of a big pot and plant other houseplants around it in the same soil, such as spider plant, coleus, etc... Is this a good or bad idea?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving cannas inside

I am not sure your canna will do well for you as a houseplant. Cannas like lots of light (although some do okay in part shade outside for some people) and lots of water and lots of fertilizer.

It will be difficult to find compatible indor plants to share the pot even if you can give it enough light.

It is more typical to grow these outside and dig up the tubers after frost kills the foliage and store them inside until next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here