Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wherewerewe

And the winner is?

wherewerewe
18 years ago

I'll probably take some lumps for this one but I felt compelled to share my experience with these two. I love my Cannas but they have some competition now.

I've had a row of dark-leaved 'Australia' Cannas lined up around my heating/cooling system to block its view, and generally I've been happy with it results...that is, until the insects chew holes in the leaves, and other bugs that prevent the leaves from unfurling, which then renders the plants pretty ugly for the rest of the season. I've tried some pesticides to no avail.

I happened to grow an Amaranthus 'Intense Purple' nearby the Cannas this year and at first didn't realize the similarities that would follow. Although the Canna's red flowers are hard to beat, I have to give the thumbs up to the Amaranthus for its insect resistance and long lasting deep purple color from its leaves to its stems...not to forget its unique droopy purple flower plumes. It stands a little taller than my Cannas but WOW, they are a show stopper! I think I'm going to replace the Cannas after this year and plant the 'IPs' en masse next year. They are very easy to grow from seed BTW.

Pictures to come soon...been FINALLY raining here after a pretty long drought.

Anyone else discover another flower they've replaced their cannas with or used as a companion plant with their cannas?

Comments (5)