Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtskiers

What is this canna?

Sue W (CT zone 6a)
18 years ago

I purchased it from Brent and Becky's in the spring as Red Stripe but I didn't think Red Stripe got this big. After starting it in a pot I transplanted it into the ground. It is now about 11-12 feet tall. I was looking for a moderate sized foliage accent here and got a bit more...lol. It produced one flower-very small and red. Could it be C. musifolia?

{{gwi:538266}}

Thanks!

Sue

Comments (8)

• zitro_joe
    18 years ago

I think that you might have a Canna Musafolia Grande. If you decide to divide them I would love to do a trade.

zitro

• carolxi
    18 years ago

I don't know what it is, but if I were you, I wouldn't be complaining - its gorgeous!!

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Not complaining at all, Carol, I just have this compulsion to know what everything is...it's a curse...lol.

Zitro I don't have much canna experience. Cannas aren't hardy here so I will be digging this and storing the tubers for the winter but that probably won't happen for at least another month. Did you send me an e-mail? If so I lost it so you may want to resend.

Sue

• username_5
    18 years ago

I don't know what it is either, but I certainly agree it is an eye catcher. Really beautiful. If you are still following this thread would you mind telling me what your watering/fertilizing schedule is like for it?

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Username5, for this particular canna I started it in a pot in potting soil that had fertilizer in the mix. After I transplanted it into the ground I rarely watered it at all. I may have watered it a few times with a water soluable fertilizer mix but that's about it. The bed is new and was made using a topsoil/compost mix I get from a commercial recycling company.

The rest of my cannas were grown in pots with a regular watering and fertilizing schedule and although they did well, none of them got anywhere near the size of this one.

Sue

• skygardening
    18 years ago

I would like some rhizomes from it if you devide. I have several named cannas I could trade.

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Without blooms, it is hard to ID a canna. And even with blooms, it can sometimes be difficult with more than 200 varieties out there. Many cannas have leaves just like those, so we really need a bloom before any ID can be attempted. Do you have a pic of blooms?

NancyAnn

• Sue W (CT zone 6a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nancy Ann, it only flowered once all season. Here is the best picture I have of the flower...it was red and very small compared to the other cannas I have. The hummingbirds seemed more attracted to it than the larger flowering cannas.

{{gwi:538267}}

Sue

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz