Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
digging cannas

Posted by iowabannut 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 10:24

I was wondering if I need to leave my cannas in the ground until frost kills the foliage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: digging cannas

No, you can dig them up anytime. Since canna rhizomes don't go dormant like tulip bulbs do, it really does not matter. You interrupt their normal growing cycle no matter when you dig them up. I usually start digging just before a killing frost, since it takes me a full month of spare time to dig mine.

o

Thanks, I know the feeling, except it takes a month shutting down and cleaning ponds, leaves, and taking care of all my tropicals.

o

where are you at in IA iowabannut? Sioux City here--about to head out and start the canna digging process. What do you grow for canna's?

d

o

i've been growing cannas for 4 years now and every fall i dig them up , clean them and store them till usually late march and then i start them in a green house. By the time the ground is ready to plant so are the cannas. my question is must i dig them up, or can I leave them in the ground all year?

o

I leave mine in the ground year-round, and have never dug them up & stored over winter.

o

I have been giving a row of cannas if i will dig them up,
so what i am needing to know is, when is the best time to dig and transplant them? (At the same time)
Or if i dig and store them for awhile before i trasplant them, what is the best way to store them? and when should i plant them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here