Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrinky

Will this storage method work? Need help from you pros!!!

darrinky
19 years ago

I dug all my canna last week. We have had no frost yet in Central Ky. I left the bulbs in the garage for a week to let them dry. I removed the dirt and many broke apart during cleaning. I placed anywhere from 5-10 bulbs in ziploc gallon bags or wal-mart bags tied tight with several scoops of peat straight from the bale in each bag. Most bulbs are completely covered in peat. I put the bags in huge rubber maid containers and plan on storing in my garage this winter. I am concerned after doing more research that the bulbs will die sealed up in the bags. I read they need air. What do you guys think?

I checked on several bags today.... they have been in storage for a week or so. There is condensation on the inside of the bags and several shoots have shot up similiar to the way they do in spring while waiting to be planted out. It has not gotten real cold here yet but it is coming. Today it is near 65 degrees. I had to dig early because of my upcoming schedule. Do you think once it cools down the bulbs will go dormant in the bags? I hope this works i am storing about 30 varieties and around 300 bulbs total. My major concern is the lack of air in the baggies and the sprouting now due to warmer than usual temps. I can always open the baggies slightly but am worried they will dry out.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz