Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rsieminski_gw

Does anyone throw out their extra rhizomes?

rsieminski
18 years ago

I would love to spare their lives, if anyone thins their garden and just tosses them. I am about at the end of the budget this year, but could pay shipping and a reasonable amt for your extras.

Thanks,

--Rick

Comments (6)

• maddigger
    18 years ago

Hi Rick, I may have some in about a month. Not sure but if I do I'll send them to you. I have yellow, red and some red,yellow mix. I'll let you know and then you can e-mail me your address. Have a great week, Jim

• nicerealtor1
    18 years ago

Suggest instead of looking worldwide and getting involved with the expense of shipping cannas, walk around the neighborhood (or further, if necessary) and see if any of your neighbors have them. If so, and especially if they look like a color you like and they are overcrowded, stop and ask to give you a call if/when they thin them.

Just tonight a neighbor of mine brought me about 10 rhizomes they had just dug up - they were in the way of something else they wanted to plant. So I was very fortunate to have talked to the nice lady earlier about her beautiful flowers. When I talked to her some time ago, she told me that the last time she thinned, she threw out an entire trash can of rhizomes.

Jim

• rsieminski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have not really seen anyone who pays that much attention to their garden/landscape. This neighborhood is more like the commercial lawn man's dream. Easy layout, palms, ferns, philos, etc. Standard walmart garden center stuff. Easy to mow around. I do see a lot of banana plants that I may raise enough courage to admire and ask for a pup, offering 1 of my own in return, but no cannas.

• nicerealtor1
    18 years ago

I just noticed that just above these discussions is a link to "Switch to Exchanges". Boy are there a lot of folks there interested in exchanging canna seeds and rhizomes!

Hope this helps!
    Jim

• rsieminski
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I understand what you are saying, and after a season of them growing, I too could partake in the exchange. It's just that right now I have nothing to exchange with. I'm just starting out. I actually just got some pathetic looking cannas from walmart(getting rid of their summer stock). Maybe next fall I could exchange some with everyone, but I'm sure they will not be anything spectacular...but at this point they are all pretty to me.
    Thanks,
    --Rick

• butterflychaser
    18 years ago

Hey Rick, in the spring, you might check out Horn's canna farm. I get many of my cannas from them each year. Look at their Journey's End. I just cannot get enough of that one. And the prices are great too--60 cents to 1.50. About 25 varieties are available. But get your order in early or they'll be sold out of the good ones. They are very prompt with shipping and send big healthy rhizomes.

NancyAnn

Here is a link that might be useful: Horn's Canna Farm

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler