Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbiep_gw

Question about dark foliage cannas

debbiep_gw
17 years ago

Hi,I was wondering if cannas with dark foliage(burgundy type color)need to be in some shade to retain the dark foliage?Mine which are in some sun,more sun than shade start off in the spring somewhat dark but start to turn back a greenish dark color as the summer progresses.I prefer them to stay dark so should I move them to shade?Thanks in advance.Debbie

Comments (4)

• port_a_bella
    17 years ago

my tropicanna do the same thing... i live in arizona so i think it might be the sun, then again maybe i don't give them enough water, hum. i don't think that the green ones fade, but i personally like the colored ones. good luck.
    kim

• sylviatexas1
    17 years ago

An old client gave me a couple of burgundy leaved cannas which I put in full sun on the west side of a house in north central Texas.

They've been struggling for 2 years now.

I've wondered if the dark pigment absorbs heat & stresses the plant.

so this autumn I'm going to move them to a little more congenial area.

• marquest
    17 years ago

I have found that my tropicana does better in shade. But it takes longer for it to bloom. I have a couple other dark leaves that I also put in afternoon shade and the leaves are gorgeous but again this makes them slow to flower.

I guess it is what look you are going for. I grow the cannas for the leaves I am not that impressed with most of the flowers.

• debbiep_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone.I grow mostly for the leaves to,I plan to move them to the shade.Debbie

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting