Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsivori_gw

Canna Rust and Overwintering

jsivori
13 years ago

Yes, I am a 'newbie' Canna lover! Thank you all for the wealth of information! I have been searching for answers to my Canna's situation but without luck. With hope, it will be answered here. I purchased my first Canna's last year, enjoyed them throughout the summer, overwintered with great success in the garage next to the house wall without removing them from their pots. Pots are 24" in diameter and completely filled with growth. This summer all was wonderful until they developed the dreaded rust near the end of the season. By the time I realized what was happening more than 50% of the plant was affected. I did what I could by removing leaves. The rust continued to spread. First frost is expected here on Long Island this week. My questions here are, will the rust die over winter? Should these plants be discarded? Is it worth it to overwinter them? I am thinking that if it is, they should be removed from the pot and separated, cutting off as much of the stem and removing as much soil as possible. I have pulled a couple of rhizomes off to see if they appeared healthy, I think they do but unless one was rotted I wouldn't know if it was or wasn't. Any advise you can offer is most appreciated. Thank you!

Comment (1)