Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Banana canna rhizomes

Posted by dogboy27 GA (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 17:35

While cleaning out a large bed of banana cannas, I noticed that quite a few rhizomes are sticking out of the soil. They are firmly anchored, and look very healthy. Should I be concerned?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Banana canna rhizomes

Most in ground planted cultivars tend to grow at or slightly below the soil line. This is particularly true in some of our heavy soils. The only concern that I would consider is how to prevent freezing in the cold months ahead. If you do not intend to dig your cannas you may need to mulch over the top well enough to prevent freezing.

The above issue may also be a result of not dividing in the spring and replanting below the soil line.

Kent

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here