Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Cannas - Peat Moss?

Posted by bobby1973 6 (robertchacko@msn.com) on
Fri, Oct 27, 06 at 18:43

hi folks,

this is my first winter with cannas. once i dry out the rhizomes in the sun and transfer them into a box inside a dry space like a garage, do i need to cover the rhizomes with anything like peat moss to keep them warm? or just throw them into an empty cardboard box? i guess this question applies for any bulbs that require overwintering such as elephant ears, etc.

thanks so much!
~bobby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Cannas - Peat Moss?

That is exactly what I do with my canna rhizomes Robert, also the same with elephant ears. I did put a layer of newspaper in the box first though, then the rhizomes then the peat moss. This is like my 4th year for them, so yes, that will work.
Alberta

o

thanks so much alberta! i really appreciate your feedback:)

o

I have great luck just putting them in boxes with newspaper on the bottom and top, no peat moss, store them in the basement and they do fine.

o

my garage gets really cold in the winter. There are some times when water freezes in there in gallon containers. Is it still ok to store the canna lillies in there? Someone gave me some "bulbs" from their garden for the first time. It is in a plastic bag in my garage right now. My basement is heated so I can't use that can I?

o

dianer, it looks like you're in a zone 1 colder than mine (6). but my mom has always kept our canna bulbs in the garage over winter. they've always successfully come back year after year when we re-plant them outside. sounds like most people store their bulbs in a warmer room like the basement. my basement is 'finished' so i'd rather not store bulbs there for appearance-sake. that's why it might be a good idea to throw some peat moss over the bulbs if they'll be stored in the garage - just to give them a little added warmth. just dry them outside in the sun real good before you bring them inside. just my 2cents.

see ya!
bobby

o

can you define what "dry them" means? how do I know if they are dried? days, hours?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here