Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canna seed on seedling??

Posted by knobrocker none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 20:23

i have grown most of my cannas from rhizomes. i have started this winter to put some seed testing in to the works. i have some good results with my seeds from last year. my question is this seed pod still attached to the growing seedling. i have a couple like this, can i just snip it off, or is it still providing the seedling with some vital nutrients? i don't wanna kill the little guy, it is attached where the embryo came out after soaking. thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canna seed on seedling??

Do not remove the canna seed from the emerging seedling as it is still taking some nutrients from the germinated seed. At this point, removing the seed would likely not kill the seedling but it would serve not real purpose.

After scarifying and soaking the seed we typically would plant the canna seed below the soil line and you would not see the results you have achieved.

Kent

o
RE: canna seed on seedling??

thank you kent. i did plant the seeds about a half inch or more deep. perhaps my soil was too loose. when i planted?? i did however plant the emerged embryo down. ty for the pic it helped. sorry to say last ight before i got this i did cut the seed off. all is good so far, still looks very healthy. i only cut the one off incase things were not gonna turn out well. looks in your pic i should have planted embryo side ways, maybe that is where i went wrong? anyway, thanks and they are doing great. it is cool to come home from work and check them out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here