Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seed Pods

Posted by cmoejr KY Zone 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 20:31

I have some Cannas that have some seed pods on them. I know that they are not going to ripen all the way before we get a heavy frost that is expected tomorrow night. My question is. Can I cut them off and hang them up in my basement to ripen? or do they have to be attached to the plant to finish ripening? or will the frost hurt them?
Thank You
Charley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seed Pods

I am not sure..I know I have canna's that seed pods are empty for some reason...they haven't fallen out either..it's like they aren't growing seeds for some reason??? LOL

Sondra

o

Thanks Sondra, I think I'll just let them stay on a couple more days. I'm getting ready to dig them up for winter. I'll cut the pods off then and just see what happens.

o

Not all canna produce seed. Often they will produce empty pods (and some will produce a few viable seedpods along with empty ones). Any seeds will be ripe when the seedpod has dried and turned brown (but if you wait too long, it will split open and drop the seeds).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here