Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is the best way to store these

Posted by tinkerbel 7b/8a B.C (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 21:34

I dug up some of the cannas today, what is the best way to overwinter these bulbs? what is the ginger root looking bit? Some of them are just bulbs and some of them have that big root , this is my first year overwintering these bulbs I dont even know what colours they are.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is the best way to store these

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 24, 07 at 17:27

That "big root" is what stores the food for next year's plants. You should notice a nice growing tip on the tubers.

I'm glad to see that you have cleaned the tubers. Now you can trim off those small roots, let them dry for a day or so. I always dust mine with some bulb dust ( fungicide), and them wrap them up in old newspapers, and then in a cardboard box.

About April, I start the plants up again in nice new soil. The growing tip should be much more noticeable at this point.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out this links

o

when I started digging them up I didnt understand eactly what I was digging and the tubers broke off. I have bulb dust I just feel really bad about breaking two of them and wasnt sure what to do wth the pieces. :( I wont make the same mistake on the other three

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o
what to do with the pieces

what should i do with the pieces that i broke

o

Go ahead and store them and see next year if they grow. They did for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here