Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_ont

rootbound cannas, how to divide (pics)

chris_ont
17 years ago

Hi

I moved this summer and so I potted up my cannas (which were given to me - I've never grown any before) and left them with a friend to look after for this season.

I just got them back and found them so badly rootbound that they had actually dented the plastic pots! I had no idea they'd develop so much root, or I would have provided larger pots. Have a look:

{{gwi:539008}}

You can see the outline of the pot in this picture, even.

So, now what? Do I pull off as many of the small roots as I can to get at the tubers? Should I use scissors? Is this easier if I let them dry out or should I soak them?

Would this rootbound issue have harmed the development of the tubers? I doubt they got any fertilizer all season long. Some of the pots bloomed, most did not. A large tuber that I gave to another friend who planted it in the ground turned out absolutely spectacular.

Here is a picture of one of them where the root mass came off fairly easily, leaving just these longs roots. Do I cut them off with scissors? Do they fall off over the winter?

{{gwi:539009}}

I have no idea where to cut these tubers to separate them.

Finally, this can't be good (see below). Just one of them had this damage. It either got banged around or something chewed on it. Can I carefully slice off the mushy part to keep the healthy pieces nearby or should I cut off a larger chunk.

{{gwi:539010}}

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida