Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting seedlings

Posted by weirdtrev Z7 MD (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 30, 06 at 23:25

I started some seeds about 3 weeks ago for fun and now I have a bunch of 5 inch plants and one vigorous grower over a foot and it sprouted later than the others. My problem is that I planted them all in one container and they are spaced about an inch apart and I think this is far too close and I wanted to know how to best seperate them. Will I kill them if I disturb the roots? I have no experience with seedlings and I don't know what to do. Not to mention I have to keep all these growing for the next 3 months inside until the last danger of frost.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting seedlings

They should be fine if you separate them now. The roots may be tangled but just gently pull them apart and repot. You can put two or three into a gallon pot.

Once you have them repotted, give them a good watering to settle their roots in. Don't over water them over the Winter months. Most likely the tops will get to a point where they won't look so hot but don't worry about that. What is the important thing is that they will continue to put out new root growth and start to develope their rhizomes.

Once Spring arrives acclimate them to outside and put them into the warmest spot you can find. They'll sprout new growth and you can either plant them out into your gardens or repot them into larger containers.

Jenna

o

• Posted by njoynit Z8b Coastal ~seclude (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 16, 06 at 14:46

I grew my seedlings in a large pot and had been in pot 3-4 months when I seperated some cause one side was overcrowding.I just stuck my finger in soil and pried it up& out.they didn't have a tuber yet just a lil root.They've done fine where moved them& most have bloomed now.The remaining ones in pot I'll stuff in cold GH.2 of which have bloomed already.I do plan to mulch my seedings thats been planted out....just in case being were not tubered yet when planted them.

I've always traded my seeds off....now I'm intrested in the seeds more.

o

I'm looking for white canna seeds to trade for my red seeds. You wouldn't have any, would you?

Thanks,

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here