Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should I do with bulbs I just got?

Posted by slo_poke z7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 23:41

Hi folks,

I just purchased some Canna bulbs at a church bake sale. (Hey, we are a diverse community!) ;-)

There were about 8 to 10 bulbs in a bag for $5.00 each bag, and they are labeled "Red Foliage with Red Flowers."

I am in zone 7, and probably don't have to worry much about them being underground for the winter. But, I was wondering if I would be better off instead of planting them - to stick them in my basement for the winter. The temps there run in the 60s (F) while my garage gets into the 20s at times.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated.

Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should I do with bulbs I just got?

I'm in zone 8a near Dallas, but much of nearby Ft Worth is zone 7, & we never lift cannas for winter storage.

If I were to get cannas for my own garden or for my aunt's FW garden, I would go ahead & plant them now.

Best luck, & enjoy!

o

As I understand, Cannas are marginally hardy in zone 7. I live in zone 5, so have to dig them to overwinter, they must be kept above freezing. My advice is to keep them in the cellar for the winter, preferably cooler than 60 (ideal ~40, perhaps near, in, the bulkhead?)

See my Oct 29 post to the thread linked below for storage method I use.

Ana, who got her first cannas, 6 for $1.00, at the library plant sale in 1997.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintering cannas

o

Thanks for the replies! Solana, I read your post. Is the peat moss perfectly dry - like dust? Or is it slightly moist? Is the bag tightly sealed with no vent holes?

Thanks,

Ed

o

Ed,

Yes, peat moss is dry. I just use it as it comes from the bag, no moistening. Enough peat moss so there's at least an inch all around and between rhizomes. Lightly hand twist the plastic bag (I use grocery bags) but don't seal so there's a little bit of air exchange.

Let your observations guide you: check on them every month or so, they should be firm. Expect a small bit of moisture loss, but shouldn't look shrivelled. If they do, sprinkle the peat lightly with water. My basement has a dirt floor, so may be damper than some.

If you notice mold, open the bags more. Rot? trim it out, dust with sulfur if you have it, let the cut dry a couple days before returning to the peat bag.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here