Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canna leaves not opening?

Posted by maddigger z6 NW Arkansas (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 05 at 23:56

Each year my cannas do great and bloom beautifully. Toward fall, several of the plants leaves stay closed in a sort of wrapped effect and the new leaves below try to grow through the twisted one and they twist the shoot completely over. What causes this. I 'd like to solve this one as I loose a lot of flowering in the fall. Thanks for any help in advance. Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canna leaves not opening?

Jim,
It sounds like you have a canna leaf roller at work. Take a look at this link for more info. Also search this forum for addition info.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/galveston/f&b_11.htm

John

o

Hey John, You were right. I didn't find any caterpillars but the damage is exactly like that pictured on the web you site you gave me. That had a lot of info. I may not have found any caterpillars because I had sprinkled seven dust on them a couple nights ago to get rid of the grass hoppers. I sprayed them today with diazinon because it was the only thing that had "for leaf rollers" that I had. I plan to get the recommended insecticide. I'm happy only the one bed of the three is infected. By the way, do you know if you take the seed pod off the plant and wait until it turns brown or wait till it turns brown on the plant? I want to try raising some by seed. I plan to get a few hybred white and pink ones. Thanks for the quick response and help. Have a great week, Jim

o

Jim,
Glad the info was of use. But you have now mined the total depth of my canna knowledge. Someone else more up to the minute will have to step.

I too was out un-sewing the "silk" stiches and unrolling my cannas today. I found the little worms in about 2/3 of them; smushed those little buggers whenever I found them.

Good Luck with yours,
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here