Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will 30 degree temps kill my dug Canna?

Posted by alinehuey z5 PA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 4, 06 at 7:13

I dug my canna and put them in the wheel barrow to dry out. Now we have 30 degree temps. Will this kill my tubers? They have a lot of dirt stuck to them.
Aline

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will 30 degree temps kill my dug Canna?

Quite possibly. Either bring them in the house or shelter them in some way, like covering them with blankets or plastic at night like I do to extend my tomatoes.

o

I guess I need to reword my question.
The canna tubers are frozen from the thirty degree temps we have . Will they go to mush?
Does the ground freeze in zone 8 in the winter?

o

The ground never freezes here like it does in PA. On the coldest day we ever have the ground is still workable. Down here, we don't even dig them up or mulch. You might be able to rescue some. It's hard to say. I would spread them out somewhere, the basement, the attic, under the bed, any place at all, on a plastic sheet to protect the carpet and see if they get mushy when they defrost. Cut off the mush and hope for the best. If you don't cut off the mush, it will spread.

o

Thank you folks.
The cannas were mush and ended up in the compost. I had some that were still in the ground and they are fine.
Our freeze came really late this year. Usually the canna tops die off way before now and I dig them and leave them to dry.
This was my second year growing them, so I have learned something about them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here