Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Couldn't resist - it's a houseplant now!

Posted by ornata London UK (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 3, 06 at 8:46

I dug up a load of cannas that I didn't want to risk in the ground (our winters are mild but my soil is very heavy). When it came to chopping off the foliage, there were a couple of plants that I just couldn't mutilate... so now I have a 'Wyoming' and a 'Stuttgart' nicely potted up and living indoors for the winter. I know I'll have to watch for pests (last year red spiter mite nearly finished off a 'Picasso', although it did recover). But the 'Stuttgart' is only tiny and can live in the bathroom for the winter, where it's nice and humid and out of direct sun. And the 'Wyoming' is just so stunning, I'll have to find a place for it somewhere! Anybody else do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Couldn't resist - it's a houseplant now!

Ornata, I too brought my young (3 leaves) stuttgart in. I hate to put it to "sleep". I put it in filtered sun next to a window and it is still burning. I heard they burn easy when young.

o

I'd love to give indoor canna a try but I have 4 catz and one is over interested in anything flowery or green. Are canna plants poisonous to pets? So far my aloe vera and jade plant have survived, my first attempt at indoor greenery, with no cat attacks...

o

I have a seedling (almost a year old, started very, very early last spring) inside, but I don't have much sun. How low of light can they take?

o

• Posted by ornata London UK (8/9?) (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 5, 06 at 6:58

On various websites canna is listed as not being poisonous to cats, e.g. http://www.petstyle.com/dog/health_well_article.aspx?id=216§ion=Health amp Safety

o

I left most of my 'Wyoming' in the ground this winter, mulched with straw and covered with plastic to keep the soil from getting too damp. Since a large clump of it I forgot about last year survived the winter and did well in '06 I though it was worth the experiment (and tubers of it can be had via online order here for $1 apiece).

o

My cannas ARE houseplants; wouldn't have it any other way :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here