Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

Why are these never sold as naked rhizomes?

Don't think I've ever seen a pack of Canna rhizomes for sale, although they sell so many other plants that way, from spring bulbs to elephant ears, Caladiums, bare-root packages of all kinds of perennials and shrubs. Why is a rare, $15+ pot of big, already growing plants the only option?

Comments (14)

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I have bought them before..got them at one of those everythings a dollar stores. came 3 dwarf yellows in a pack. they were slow to start and slow to grow once acually died on me. if you can buy em already going just do it growing from the dormant rhizomes was a bad idea and you never know if there virused or not until you put your time and effort into them. at least with a growing plant you can see before you buy

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike. Thanks for the response! I usually do look at those racks at the dollar stores and BBS's, have never seen Cannas, but it is good to hear that it's possible. Will look again next spring!

• miketropic
    11 years ago

IDK if you have them in your area but we have a place called "the christmas tree store" they have them out for sale right now but no idea how long they have been in that bag

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

In the spring Wally World, HD, Lowes and most garden centers have them here in TX.
    There are online stores too. (Horn Canna Farm & Karchesky Cannas). They're closed now, but will take orders in the spring.

Lonnie

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, and thanks! I looked at WM, but L's and HD are too far away to bother here. When I lived in a big city, I would frequent all of these as well as the regular garden stores. Sounds like I've just had bad timing. I'll keep looking, thanks!!

Never heard of "the Christmas store." Sounds interesting.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Packaged cannas are likely to have virus, but in the last year, I have seen some plants in garden centers that appear on the surface to be virus free (not so with Tropicana).

• foreverlad
    11 years ago

Purple,

I know this thread is a few months old, but in Walmart a week ago, I found King Humbert red, Picasso, and a mixed bag of 5 dwarf canna being sold.

One of the bags was torn open, a canna growing from the rhizome right there on the shelf.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Well that's cool to hear. Bagged bulbs/rhizomes are irresistible when you can see they're starting to grow. Bought a Dahlia tuber with a pic of a beautiful purple flower, hope it really looks like that!

Mantis, didn't notice your comment when you added it. Is it possible to know about this virus from looking at the rhizome? What is it called?

• foreverlad
    11 years ago

Purple,

Canna Rust is the name of the virus, and as best I understand, the only way to know if a Canna is infected is from the discoloration/disintegration of the leaves.

Run a google image search and you'll see what I mean.

• miketropic
    11 years ago

I got a bunch of rhizomes from lowes and walmart today. they are pot grown till I check for virus. there will be a new product comming out soon that makes the virus dormant..dosent eliminate it but keeps the foliage from looking like crap.

This post was edited by miketropic on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 19:28

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh that's good to hear. I have these for the hummingbird-enticing blooms, but ugly foliage is never good. Good luck with your 'zomes!

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I would be very wary of buying any boxed cannas in the big box stores. No, the virus will not be apparent from the rhizome, but the first leaves will already show signs, probably of mottling.

• Maria2013
    11 years ago

I just got some rhizomes from Home Depot, I know they could be infected but for the cost (less than $5 for 4) I'm willing to test them out

• treehuggermomma
    10 years ago

I just bought some at Fred's about three weeks ago, and they are coming up fine. I planted them with some glads, and the glads came up faster , but the cannas will take off once they start. ( I hope). They don't seem to be diseased, but really they were so cheap, I'm not really losing much if they fail. They are in their own bed with the cheapo glads. lol.