Return to the Canna Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
when do I cut back cannas

Posted by pscarrico CA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 11:28

I am a newbie to cannas, loved them for years, now can grow them in CA. They appear to be done flowering and I don't know what to do next - cut down the stalks, leave thru winter, dig up, etc.

Seems I can leave the rhizomes thru the winter rains, but should I cut the stalks down and if so, how far?

Please help, they were beautiful this year and I don't want to lose them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: when do I cut back cannas

You won't lose them. You're in a zone where you may be able to grow them all year, depending on your winter. Cannas continually produce new stalks which will bloom even tho old stalks may be exhausted.

Here, we cut the cannas down when a frost kills the foliage, which was just in the last week or two. Do you get frost? I wouldn't cut the foliage until the last possible minute. It will continue to absorb energy for the rhizomes.

Throughout the season, as old stalks finish blooming (each stalk may have two or three flushes of blooms), you can trim down the old stalks so new stalks can take in nutrients and sunlight.

You can cut the stalks to about an inch tall. Don't worry, you're not going to hurt the cannas. In fact, in your zone, they may be "weeds" for you someday. Believe me, if I haven't killed them here in zone 7, with my neglect, they're safe with you. LOL

o

• Posted by suzieh z9 Altadena CA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 11, 05 at 13:42

Hello, I'm in Los Angeles area and cannas are like weeds for me. I totally neglect them...bad soil, not enough water and they still go crazy. Anyway, I cut my cannas back after they flower..but now that I know folks here want seeds... I would just trim off any unsightly leaves and stems. My cannas are going through a rebloom right now. If you get freezing temps where you are at in California, you might to cut back and mulch as other posts here suggest. Susan

o

OK, I trimmed back the canna's. Did I do it right? What do I need to do now?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Canna Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here